Crocheting is one of the best skills anyone can learn. It has structure and scope for creativity that rivals anything else labelled ‘handicraft’. I adore it and am incredibly proud to be able to crochet & to show others how to.
Yet, there’s a few things I wish someone had told me. Or even just hinted at, so I could be prepared, you know?
So here are 5 of the things I really wish someone had told me.
- It’s addictive. From the first moment when you ch your first sc, you’ll be looking for pockets of time to do your thing. On the bus, in a queue, waiting for the kettle to boil. Anytime, anywhere, have hook, will crochet.
- There’s no-one you can’t crochet for. Brothers in law always need a scarf or two. There’s even patterns for beloved pets. The world is so much brighter when you know you can rustle up a tortoise cosy, should the need arise.
- You’ll fall in love………………with yarn! Alpaca, silk, bamboo are just a few of the luxurious blends that will slip through your fingers like jewels. The pull of artisan yarn will grab you and soon you’ll be tangled in thoughts of dyeing & fibers. At this point, you are beyond saving 😉
- Its good for your health – Crocheting keeps joints mobile, helps with concentration & memory. It also reduces stress, but any crocheter can tell you it can occasionally increase it 🙂
- You’ll never stop learning. From Pinterest to the archives of the V&A, there’s millions of patterns out there & like Pokemon, you’ll want to catch them all!
So there you have it, 5 things you should have been told when you started crocheting. I hope it helps some of you before you take the plunge. It’s too late for the rest of you, of course, you’re already hooked!